Leading from Behind a Lesson learnt from Shepherd

The other day I was driving home from office , during the day few of us like minded folks had invested the day sharing on the topic "Lead by Example" and how "Leaders must Lead from the Front"..

Lesson from a Shepherd......
I was driving in my car, deep in thought introspecting about the "Leadership" challenges in changing times.
Suddenly I had to hit the brakes,as a big herd of sheep were crossing the road right in front of the car. I cursed the situation and wondered, where was "Shepherd" who was supposed to lead them.
After sometime when the sheep had crossed the road, I saw the Shepherd walking behind the herd.
I was very irritated with him and wondered, what kind of leader was he, hanging behind the herd?

Few days later I was conducting a workshop and discussing about "Dynamic Leadership Styles", suddenly the visual of the Shepherd walking behind the herd of sheep came to my mind.

I felt this is also a "Leadership Style", "Leading from Behind".
The shepherd was "Leading from Behind" . This was the style based on faith, trust and also care. The Faith and Trust was on the sheep in the front who knew the path as they were taught by him and could now lead the new and young. The Care and support part came from Leader by Leading from Behind. By this he could watch the sheep who were behind ,new and young and could be open to danger.

Is it not nice " Leading from Behind" is good style in current turbulent and changing times.

Comments

Jaspal said…
Nice. We are so ignorant at times to see basics things around us which might teach us and make us wiser by the day. You need a lot of patience and an observant eye to pick up lessons of life from situations and people around us.

Popular posts from this blog

Vedi….Vini…..Vinci……The Vino Velo Ride.

Go Goa Gone.......Vedi Vini Vinci

Why Marathoners make better Corporate Professionals