Journey to Heaven, thru Gates of Hell..............

Journey to Heaven, thru Gates of Hell......

Heaven on earth Leh-Ladakh.
Yes a Photographers delight.
Vacationers Paradise.
Adventurers dream come true.
and Runners, Hell.........

Ladakh Marathon on Sept,9th 2018 was a challenge to 7000 mad people.
Since only extreme madness, can drive you to run at 11,000 ft above sea level.
No sane person, worth his salt will even dare to dream to run at such a height with extreme low oxygen.

Leh, a high-desert city in the Himalayas, is the capital of the Leh region in northern India’s Jammu and Kashmir state. Generally in September temperatures are pleasant around 16 degree during day and as low as 3 degree during night.

I will like to start with the end or climax moment.

Our team completed the HM,Half-Marathon.
Yes we were a team who dreamt together to run the Ladakh Marathon in Feb,2018.
We as a team, passed thru the finish line on Sept,9th 2018.

The crazy dreamers were my mad run buddies, Jai , Prakash , Shailesh, Sonali  and Surekha.
Shailesh my buddy due to some sudden commitments could not make it, but was virtually with us and praying for us from holy place of Lord Shiva at Trimbakeshwar,

I am so excited to pen down my emotions of crossing the finish line and share with my reader runners, that will skip the preparation for run and post run details, rather save it for my next blog.

Yes, as rightly titled, my fellow crazy runners will resonate my feelings of Journey to Heaven, thru Gates of hell which started at 6.30am IST and ended approximately at 10.00am IST on Sept,9th 2018.  

The run started at 6,25 am .
We knew it was going to be tough.We all had practiced for the grill too.
But what we were to experience for next 3.30hrs approximately was something we never had in our wildest dream..

God had favored us with no rains and it was like blessing to our prayers and our well wishers prayers.
All of us started the run with much enthusiasm and energy.

It was pleasant weather with bit of chill.
I am a conservative runner, when running long distance like HM and prefer a injury free run with fast finish and high energy.
I had my strategy set very simple 8 - 7 - 6. Which means 8km in 1st 1 hour, 7km in next 1 hr and 6km in last 1 hour. So 21km in 3hrs.
Well all said and done each one of us have strategy based on our running style.
I personally run in Run - Walk - Run pattern, to conserve my muscle and have min muscle loss. Also it helps my maintain heart-rate in the right zone.

All those who are runners know it well , To Fail to plan , is the plan to fail.
Personally I run more from heart and soul, with passion to enjoy the journey.

Every runner knows each event is unique and will test different body parts.

I also have philosophy or superstition that bow to the nature and never challenge the nature.

I started the run, very easy taking baby steps. We had very high energy in the air due to approx 3000 runners on the track.
I also believe to understand self and nature the initial 0.5 km.
I started chanting Vithal Vithal in rhythmic way tip by my Mentor and Guide Arun Sir @ Pragati. 

Although weather was cool, sun was just rising. I got a tired feeling by the time I was  0.5km down the track.
I did not like this signal. Since it was not even a run it was just baby steps to feel the track and weather.
It started to get tougher and I felt tough on breathing and could almost feel heart throbbing in my ears and head.
Although it was start of downhill, i was finding tough and panic struck me.

I had  a very clear agenda and that was COMPLETE the run. 
Nothing else matters.
We had cut-off of 3.45hrs and my goal was to achieve in 3.44hrs.

Also I had one more very clear plan, initial 16KM were to be done Run Walk Run and last 5KM which was an inclined track to be only Walk Walk Walk.

Here I was struggling my 1st 1 KM breathless due to low oxygen, tired due to heart racing.
Vithal Vithal was almost difficult to chant.
( I will write in my next blog, the background of PANIC, I was bleeding from my nose 2 hours before start of Run. I will reserve that for later, my room buddy Prakash knows it well)

The 1st thing that hit me was PANIC.  The fellow runners were running and picking pace.
I was so much in state of panic, that immediately came to halt. I had promised myself, my family and friends I will not go beyond tippling point and endanger self.

I decided hell with running, let me walk.
I knew with walking doing 8km in 60min was tough.
But my better sense at my current state of low breathing and high heart racing I am sure to fall down.

 So hit the Plan B back-up start walking.

I started to walk and started my chant Vithal Vithal in the rhythmic way, as was in my heart.

Soon I was taking faster steps, also felt easy on breath and sense of panic leaving me.

I started to visualise I am reaching the Finish Line high on energy and receiving the Finishers Medal.

It worked the easy walk, helped calm the heart beats made breathing better and chanting more refreshing Vithal Vithal.
Some divine power, some distant blessings were cushioning me.

I did almost 2km now and saw it was 22min. This was very slow but now I was confident.
I had regained my posture, I felt better.

It was as if the Rising sun instead of punishing me , was going to lift me with energy.
I was happy and soon picked momentum.
I knew now in deep heart , the testing phase was done. I am good to go.
I prayed to Sun God, invoked Gayatri Mantra took pause to seek blessing and decided to sprint.

And behold I was actually sprinting and smiling.......

I knew at that moment, I was going to complete and complete with a bright happy smile and make all my loved ones proud.

It was a downhill track, which further helped me build my  momentum.
But more important was I was feeling happy and enjoying my run, which is more close to my heart.
I hate to struggle and feel as if I am making effort. I like to run and fly like a free bird.

I knew with rising sun heat will increase and make it difficult, but I had faith and knew it will favor me.
I continued my picking pace and chanting Vithal Vithal and covered 5km in 40minutes.
I knew I was behind my schedule of 8km in 60min, but I thought hell with that.

I said to myself Runs will happen, HM will happen. Ladakh is not every day.
Soon I got ready for my favorite passion during run. Clicking the surrounding, Capturing the scenic views. 
Leh is a paradise. It would be sinful and Gods will not forgive me if I do not take moment to appreciate look at the God Almighty creation.
So I took pause to watch the changing colors of Sky, gigantic mountains throwing colored shadows with rising sun. I stared taking photos and videos for my loved one back home.

I was enjoying and the child in me had completely taken over. I started chatting and motivating fellow runners, helping them. I found few of my buddies, and so took pause to click them in scenic background and take selfies.

Now I was in a trance, with nature. I had my wind beneath my wings, hugging, kissing  me and lifting me up. 
I had almost forgotten the distance to cover and time required.

I WAS ENJOYING...I WAS HAPPY.....I WAS NOT RUNNING...I WAS VIRTUALLY FLYING....

And lo behold I found my team mate buddy Jai , on track after a U turn. Gave him a shout and waved him.
I did not stop him for selfie since did not wished to break his momentum.

We almost were now at flat -land and the advantage of  downhill was over, rising sun was getting hotter.
I was gulping water, enerzal and eating bar to maintain that bursts of energy which I would require on the flat track.

I checked my stats and I was 14km in 2hrs. I was sure I will complete and with smile. Although this was not as per my 8km 7km , It was good and I was happy.

I knew the last 5.5 km were start of elevation which will continue almost till finish.
I started to load with chocolate, enerzal, water which will give its energy release after 10 to 15min.

By the time it showed last 6km. I was ready with my energy kit releasing its power.
I switched to ,my favorite Walk Run Walk. It was almost 8.45 am. I was feeling fine.
I knew nothing to worry, my chanting was easy and my steps also very rhythmic.
I had mentally prepared the last 5km,
I had come and studied the track 3 days prior to event, with my team and walked the 3.5km in 40min.
I knew it well. I was prepared.

Yet surprises happen. Change is the only thing that is constant.

I again felt surge of low energy and surprisingly breathing challenge.
But I was calm. I knew the track. And I was visualizing receiving the Finishers Medal.

I again hit onto my Walk Walk Walk. I did 1 km by walking. Easy Walk. Continued chanting and taking photos, also helping many fellow runners who were struggling hard .
Most were experiencing the challenge  of breathing, tiredness and exhaustion.
I kept suggesting drinking water, eating Snickers chocolate, Banana  and switch to walk walk walk and cheering.

4km more to go, it was crazy hot. No shade to or trees to take shelter. No breeze. Water points was far away. Filled water would get over. Food was over.
Suddenly felt a vacuum set in.
Taking easy steps walking was now becoming tough.
Now the thought is to hit next water station and fill water,load some sugar and food.
It was struggle to walk. It was tough to breathe. Sun was scorching the back.

This was the beginning of the HELL.
The 2KM walk up the elevation, was sucking every ounce of water, energy.

This was the beginning of keeping mental sanity.
It was here It struck me the title of my blog....Heaven(Finish Line) thru Gates of Hell(2KM).

I realized walking was  getting like impossible.
I have faith in my lower back strength and strong thighs.

Everyone were walking. Actually not walking but dragging legs. Lifting one leg at time and putting ahead of other.

Good sense prevailed, I decided to do the impossible. I had no choice I was almost at standstill, stunned I had done 19Km and could not take step ahead.

I switched to walk run walk. 
Initially it was almost not doable.  Scorching heat. Sucked up water from body, Energy drained,. And steady incline uphill.

Yes my lower back strength and strong thighs , supported my mental decision.
Ofcourse that does not mean it became a cake walk.
It was struggle . It was madness. I was almost hallucinating.

1KM to go and I could do it no more.
I just could not gather any  energy to take a step ahead.

I continued my attempt of walk run walk.
It was no more physical. 
It was now the end game in chess.
It was the mental game.
I continued my chanting Vithal Vithal and kept visualizing  receiving Finisher Medal.

I could now see Finisher Gate and started to slowly run towards it like a child running  to his reward.
The view felt like it is infinity. It felt never ending till eternity. 
Now every step was Impossible every step was like last step feeling.
I kept praying and visualizing my wind beneath my wings.
And yes, I crossed the finish line.

I could not hold my tears, and got on my knees to thank Mother earth and the nature, which accepted my submission and helped me complete.
It was dream come true. It was truly dream come true.

My buddy Jai had completed ahead of me.
My other buddies joined me soon.
It was such a joy as a team we all completed the Dream Run at Ladakh.

I came
I saw.
I ran.
I completed the Ladakh Marathon ,which has tag line, 
for the brave and resilient.

I owe this to all my teachers, running buddies of Aundh group MES 83 School friends well wishers and family who sustained the stress far away from the venue.

This was my Journey to Heaven, thru Gates of Hell......
























Comments

Anil Kumar said…
Awesome :)
jacky said…
Manoj,
While reading ur bolg really i was feeling that I am running with you.. it's v touchy.. ur word sense is also beautiful.. u r a hard core runner n motivator. Keep it up..
skopalkar said…
Hi Manoj

MES83 is very proud of your achievement �� the entire experience of Ladakh has been beautifully crafted in this blog you indeed carried all of us in your journey .. look forward to run with you in the near future regards Sanjay K
Unknown said…
Amazing manoj got goosebumps while reading your blog well deserved congrats to you on this stupendous achievement
Unknown said…
Congrats manoj....nicely crafted...i too ran along with you...
Nidhi said…
Beautiful write-up...Manoj
Proud of you friend...what a perseverance...hats off ...congr congratulations 👏👏👏👏
Rocky said…
I fleet as if I was running with you.
Thanks a lot for sharing this experience.
Next year I am running with you

Popular posts from this blog

Vedi….Vini…..Vinci……The Vino Velo Ride.

Go Goa Gone.......Vedi Vini Vinci

Why Marathoners make better Corporate Professionals