Journey of 270 days to reach that magic number 42KM.....Full Marathon.....The beginning (Part 1)

 42KM.....Full Marathon.....The beginning, A failed attempt (Part 1) 
Feb,18th 2018 at 8.55am , reached that magic number 42km, after 5.55hrs and completed that 1st Full Marathon.
Yes, only a fellow runner will empathize the Joy and Ecstasy of being on road for approx 6hours .
Let me share the journey and dream that started 9 months ago......

My earlier blog, http://manojvanjari.blogspot.in/2018/02/qualifying-tata-mumbai-marathon-21-km.html, I had shared my journey to qualify and run the TMM and complete 21km, half-marathon.

I had a unfulfilled desire which I was attempting from June,2017.
As I developed my passion for running, it developed into a healthy addiction or positive obsession.
After successfully completing qualifying run for TMM in June 2017, of NIO by doing 10km in 67 minutes, I was confident and felt ready for next goal.
I set my eyes to run a Half-marathon.

Thanks to our founder of Pune Running Vikas Kumar https://www.linkedin.com/in/vikaskumarpune/, and his creative midnight run program 6 times a year I had the opportunity to give try for my desire to run half-marathon within 3 months of starting to run and 2 months after my 1st 10km.

Like Steve Jobs said, only the crazy ones think and dream, and they do.

At 3 am in the wee dark hours of early morning, few of us the crazier ones started running.
Being the monsoon month, it was pleasant weather. It was all silent as the city was sleeping and few of us with adrenaline high were running.
Blessed are we since this is a fantastic organised event super supported on route by small bites, water and glucose by fellow buddies.
I must say those who run, owe a lot to this fellow buddies who selflessly are waiting every 2km for runners and offering sweets, water, glucose and fruits.....and tremendous cheering and motivation.

Few of the names to mention are Shailesh from TCS, Shirish CEO, Swati , Avinash etc.
For many it was going to be 1st 10km, or 1st 21km or for few aspiring ones 1st 42km.......

I was having my eyes and heart set on 21km in approx 3hours.
I always believe joy is in giving and supporting. I was running my 1st half marathon, and had decided to support and accompany my running buddy, Sonali Jadhav,Principal Hotel Mgmt College. Sonali was also running her 1st HM.
It was great comradeship feeling , enjoying the silence, exchanging thoughts on various topics and understanding our interests etc and running on the roads at night.

Team and running fellow buddies, help a lot to overcome boredom , fear and any physical pain and also deal with mental fatigue which is natural and does happen.
The initial 10km were not a problem as I had already done it earlier. Good team, good support ( we were like running between water stops and eating stops) and amazing team support, we were slowly maintaining our course.
After 10km the route was  tough with elevation and descend , which means we had to cover the elevation twice on our journey. By 15km it was really more of mental strength as body was in a robotic state.
The goal was 6km more and was test of patience and perseverance.
Slowly and steadily I started getting confident as could see goal in sight.

Mental confidence overrides all pain. I started to vision completion of HM.
My running buddy was also excited at the prospect of completion 1st HM and together we completed in approx 2.50hrs.
What a feeling......amazing like a crescendo.....and...I was feeling good.
One of my running buddy asked how much do you plan to do.....
I was like why not FM......greed is natural to human being....

So here I was all set to do only HM, and after completion was elated and excited and started running again.
After initial few kilometers and the excitement ebbing down, was the beginning of torture. The next few kilometers were steep uphill, 30minutes of more run and the reality started to settle. After 25km is all together a different game.

But riding high on the energy and success of HM and with great company kept going.Very soon realized I was being greedy and over confident to chase the next milestone FM a 42km. I kept running legs tired, parched throat, aching calf and extreme sore heels and super motivated mind......

By 30km I realised I was not thinking properly could not sense anything was like a zombie. Since I had become slow due to fatigue and was lagging behind team boredom and loneliness sets in, and drains you of all energy.
That moment I realized, The Aha thought......Running Full Marathon is 80% mental readiness and mental strength and mind calmness.

After 30km I was alone running , much behind the support vehicle for water and glucose , lagging behind my team and fear set in. For the first time was hit by unknown fear. What will happen if I dont get water or biscuit. 
I experienced the power of negative thoughts and lack of team, running mate, in influencing  failures.

Low on energy, short on water and glucose, hit by negative thoughts and missing running mate.....I could not carry any further and decided needed to return to my base, still 3km away.
The return journey to base was almost carrying and dragging each feet one at time.
I experienced the challenge and adored those who do full marathon.
With great difficulty and more low on mental strength reached back base completing 33km.
Felt good, started for 21km and did 33km.....
They say Aim for the sky, you will at least end with handful of stars.

That day  seed was sown, I need to do full-marathon.....it will be beautiful.
It will be nice test of mental strength over physical stamina.
This was the beginning of the dream completing Full Marathon.....
I did not know than , it is easier said than done....
It is almost Impossible in the 1st year of running...
Did not even think it would take me wait of 9months to see that day....

I owe this article to all my running buddies, inspiring team, motivating runners and a dream and for the crazy thinking and of course , wind beneath my wings..... 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vedi….Vini…..Vinci……The Vino Velo Ride.

Go Goa Gone.......Vedi Vini Vinci

Why Marathoners make better Corporate Professionals